Tonight I had my first pumpkin dinner party, so THANK YOU Brei for coming over. Initially I thought of roasting butternut squash with butter and brown sugar with rice pilaf or couscous (thank you Sarah Spielman, for that recipe way back in 2010) but as the morning drew on inspiration struck and I wanted to roast squash with some other vegetables. DID YOU KNOW that butternut squash and brussel sprouts are a common combination? (WAIT — DID YOU ALSO KNOW they’re called Brusells sprouts. Mind. Blown. I won’t adapt now) I guess they’re in season around the same time and take similar amounts of time to roast. So then the question was … how.
As has been the common theme, I looked up a bunch of different recipes and liked this one best, but put my own twist on it.
HOW GORGEOUS DOES THIS LOOK!? Sorry, I’m obsessed with this dish.
1 medium butternut squash, cubed
12 oz brussels sprouts, quartered
1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
Mrs. Dash Italian blend, to taste (I used lots)
Diced bacon (I didn’t use these but I think they would have made this dish even more delicious!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Dice vegetables and bacon and place in a baking dish (I used a 3 qt dish)
3. Add spices over vegetables.
4. Add enough olive oil to coat vegetables and toss so vegetables are evenly covered in oil and spices.
5. Add balsamic vinegar to taste, and toss and coat vegetables again.
6. Bake for about 40 minutes or until vegetables start to brown.
I have to say, gluttonous as this may be, Brei and I ate almost that entire pan of vegetables and couldn’t stop. Thank you, Brei, for helping me finish off these vegetables, otherwise I probably could have eaten that entire plate myself.